Friday, October 16, 2009

Blueberry Muffins


This morning we had this for breakfast:

Blueberry muffins and a strawberry shake made with the frozen fruit I bought from Cole's Livery.  I also made the muffins with whole wheat, using the wheat I ground in my own grinder.   I love it because they are tasty and because my son will eat them.  They are made with whole wheat and blueberries, where can you go wrong?  

Blueberry Muffins
*Recipe courtesy of "The I Do Cookbook for the Bride and Groom"

2 Cups frozen blueberries*
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour**
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup milk

* I use less blueberries, a little over one cup
** I use 1 cup wheat and 1 cup white flour

Topping (optional):
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. flour
3/4 cup uncooked oatmeal
1/4 cup butter

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line 12 standard size muffin cups with paper liners or grease muffin pan.
2. Place blueberries in colander.  Rinse well and let drain.  Sprinkle with 1/4 cup flour.  Toss gently until berries are coated with flour.  Set aside.
3.  In mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar.
4.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Stir in vanilla.
5.  In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Gradually add to butter mixture.  Mix until blended.
6.  Add milk and mix lightly.  Do not beat.
7.  Carefully fold in blueberries.  Fill muffin cups approximately 3/4 full.  
8. Sprinkle with topping.  Bake 25 minutes or until set and lightly browned.

Leftover muffins can be placed in freezer bag and frozen for later use.  To reheat thawed muffins, place under broiler 30 to 60 seconds.  Watch closely.

2 comments:

  1. Ari - this looks delicious! And I love your presentation!! Funny, I was just logging on to post a recipe but I'll let people see yours for a few days before I post mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ari, thanks for the post. I think I might make blueberry muffins for my breakfast tomorrow morning and Sunday. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete