Friday, January 15, 2010

A new twist on an old favorite

We have a family recipe for Oatmeal Chip Cookies that are well-loved. Today I added what I consider a healthy twist. (I actually consider these cookies as per the recipe not too unhealthy themselves.) First the favorite recipe, then the twist.
4 cups oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
Mix these together.
4 cups flour (I use whole wheat)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp salt
Mix flour mixture with the oatmeal.
Combine liquid ingredients:
1 1/2 cup veg. oil
4 eggs (well beaten)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup milk
Add liquids to all the dry ingredients.
Stir in chocolate chips (or butterscotch) and 2 cups of nuts if desired.
Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
The twist is this:
Reduce oil to 1/2 and add about 1--1 1/3 cups of milled flaxseed. I also add about 1/2 to 2/3 cup of additional milk. I have used EV Olive oil in this recipe as well.
I am a firm believer in comfort foods, and cookies are my comfort food. Because of that I like to make them as healthy as possible.
We would love your recipes!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy - too bad you couldn't send me some over the web cam:)

    ReplyDelete